Miriam Ast is a senior lecturer at Leeds College of Music, teaching one-to-one lessons and ensembles.
Key aspects of her teaching:
- vocal technique (intonation, vocal projection, breath/resonance, dynamic variety, varying timbre/vocal textures)
- style (jazz and off-beat phrasing, in the pocket singing, time-feel, rhythmic exercises)
- lyrical interpretation (work on repertoire, expressing lyrics/stories effectively with your voice, free your sound/acting exercises)
- musicianship (writing and analyzing jazz songs, jazz theory/ear training, freedom in the music, effective communication with the band)
- improvisation (learning how to scat over changes like an instrument, singing idiomatic jazz phrases, motific development)
- performance technique (stage presence, musical expression, microphone technique, relaxation exercises, learning to enjoy performing to the fullest)
For private lessons or workshop requests please get in touch here.